Today I am 26 and it feels like such an odd year. It’s like being 14 again, the general thrill of being in your teens is over but you still aren’t old enough to drive. 26 is one step closer to 30 but feels like 10 years away from the carefree days of 21. This year has been such a busy year from start to finish. We got engaged in June of 2018 so the whole year has been about wedding planning, on top of that in May of 2019 we bought our first house. This year has been full of celebration and adjustments. So in an effort to not throw a party for myself in a year that has already been all about me and Jacob, I have not planned a thing for myself. Just because I didn’t plan anything does not mean I didn’t put together a little birthday wish list though!
I am also going to take this opportunity to share 26 things I have learned in my 26 years.
- No job is guaranteed or handed to you. No matter the degree, certification or experience.
- Don’t waste time on men who aren’t treating you the same way you treat them. Don’t be the chaser, be the one being chased. You are the Tequila not the lime.
- Self-care is not a waste of time.
- Do not compare yourself to the fabulous strangers online.
- Buttered noodles is always a dinner option.
- You must know how to drink in a professional setting.
- Five extra minutes In the morning getting ready can make a huge difference in your day.
- Smiles are contagious.
- Better to be over dressed than under dressed.
- You can celebrate anything and pop the champagne any day of the week.
- You are not invincible, wear sunscreen.
- Make up is expensive.
- Be patient in all aspects of life.
- Know your weakness and make plans to strengthen them.
- Sleeping in until noon is a waste of the day, bottom line.
- Value your friendships.
- Ask questions no matter how dumb it may seem.
- Don’t act like you’re 45 when you’re 25, you are only young once.
- Coffee is a necessity.
- Dreams never die, they are just filed away somewhere.
- Working out is required.
- Unless you are on a boat, beach or tailgate having a beer before 10:00 AM might make you an alcoholic.
- Men don’t think like women.
- Have a favorite breakfast place.
- Walk in beauty appointments are no longer acceptable, make an appointment with someone specific!
- Love is often taken for granted, always cherish the ones you love, and the ones who love you.
Happy birthday to all you Leo’s out there may this be a day all about you!